There was once a time when freelancing was frowned upon, and it was not considered a way to be able to earn a full-time income. All of that has changed in recent years, and now more and more people are enjoying lucrative freelancing careers, and are able to work for themselves, setting their own hours and doing exactly what they want to do, instead of what a corporation tells them to do. Today we are going to discuss some of the things that you need to do if you are considering becoming a freelancer in order to have the best experience and plenty of success.
- Have a Plan – The first thing you need is a plan. This should include how you plan to operate (your own name or a business name), your specialty, your clients, the type of marketing you plan to do and the results you want, how much money you need to earn in order to be able to pay the bills each month, how much you will charge for your services, etc.
- Set a Schedule – Even if you are currently working at another job, you can still devote some time to your new career as a freelancer, even if it is only a couple of hours per day. Take some time in the evenings, on the weekends or other days off, etc., and do your freelance work during these hours. As your freelancing career grows, you can start concentrating on increasing that schedule.
- Take Your Time – If you have another job at the moment, don’t quit to start freelancing. You don’t know for sure that it is going to work out, and you need to know that there is a steady income coming in. Take your time, and learn everything possible about what you want to do, improve your own skills, and building your client list.
- Have a Dedicated Workspace – While you will have the freedom to work from anywhere as a freelancer, it is still important to make sure that you also have a dedicated workspace. Your home office doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, but it should have all of the tools that you are going to need to do your job. If you need a better computer, sell MacBook Pro items that are old and upgrade for more features, better speed, etc.
- Have a List of Working Locations – It is always a good idea to keep a list of all of the places where you will be able to work. For instance, you may enjoy spending time at coffee shops. In order to be able to work, you will need an Internet connection, so now is the time to scope out all of the Wi-Fi hotspots in your area. That way, you will have a number of options for places to work out of.
- Accounting Software – You may not be able to afford an accountant, but you should at least have some accounting software. Just because you are self-employed, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to file your taxes each year, and doing this can get quite confusing at times. The right software will let you do your taxes quickly and easily, and make sure that everything is done properly. There are many accounting software packages made specifically for freelancers.
- Organizational System – When you are working for yourself as a freelancer, it can often be all too easy to become disorganized, especially if you are working from numerous locations and using numerous devices. An organizational system such as Asana can help you to stay on top of things. It is made for teams, but it is also ideal for the solo worker.